Friday, July 20, 2012

The Power of Technology

This morning, I logged onto Twitter, and on my timeline, I saw this thing about the shooting of Colorado. I didn't know what was going on, so I quickly went on the safari app, and googled the colorado shooting. Within minutes, I was informed about the shooting, and what was going on.
Then, I got to thinking. Ten years ago, we consulted the news channels and the newspapers for news. I remember watching the chase of OJs car in LA at my grandparent's house. When my grandmother was a kid, she got news through the radio, and the newspapers. I recently saw the musical Newsies, and it amazed me how the news was when she was a kid. They used paper presses, and that's how people got the news. (I recommend that you all see it folks, the choreography was amazing) How do we get our news nowadays? We get our news through the Internet, whether on an iPod, (which I am using to write this), a smartphone, a tablet, and the computer. We learn things through social media, whether it's big news like this, or school side gossip. We can literally go onto Facebook and Twitter, and find information, even though sometimes it may not be a hundred percent right. Then, we would take the initiative to look things up, on a news site, to verify whether or not it's right.
It also amazes me how news can travel so quickly. Before you would have to wait for a newspaper or an evening news program. Now, when news happens, we can read it on the hour, sometimes even in the seconds after it happens. It's amazing how quickly we can get the information, how we can be informed and it's all because of technology that brings us to these news.
We are in a new era of getting information. We are in the future.

I also would like to take a moment to offer my condolences to the families and victims of this horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys during this terrible time.

No comments:

Post a Comment