Friday, May 23, 2014

Society and the Single Girl-Titles


Sometimes, I feel like a freak of nature. At almost twenty, I have friends that are head over heels deep in relationships where they can see a future that's promising in the horizon. And I'm just sitting here, single, with no plans whatsoever on what I want to do with my life, and wondering if I am a freak of nature.
I'm going to say it right now, and get it over with. I'm not sure if I want to have the wedding, followed by the kids, and live in the white fenced world that's protected by expectations. I'm not offending people who do fall in this category, but it may not be for me. I'm not sure if I want to use the title 'mother', or even 'wife.' "Partner,' yes if I find someone that fits the role. 'Journalist,' hell yeah. I want to be treated as an equal, not the person who provides for her family by cooking. Being June Clever is something that I just don't want to do with my life. I rather be Carrie Bradshaw, who wanders around. I want to be inspiration to many, and I want to do that with or without a man to rule by my side. I feel like that because I don't have a romantic bone in my body, that I'm the enemy single person, that everyone either hates or pities.
Being single and perhaps not knowing if that lifestyle is what you want isn't something that you should be feeling sorry for. Many people often say that, and then are frowned upon. I have friends who just want that, and I think that's great. I don't know what my life is going to be. I sometimes even wonder if I'm too independent to be in a relationship in the first place. Whatever happened to pride? Whatever happened to the women wanting to become president, instead of housewives?
With some people, I believe that falling in love is a trap. A trap of all your pride, dreams, and dignity. I want to be that girl who does what she wants, and doesn't have to tell a man anything. I don't answer to nobody, and that's the way that it's going to be. I don't want to put someone ahead of me, because that's not the way it should be. I have friends, and they are going to be my friends whether or not I have someone in my life. I believe that some people take the dating thing a bit too far, and put their man on a pedestal. I sure as hell will never do that.
Does that make me a person that's the enemy? I put me first, but in all essence, that's about being single. Finding someone that makes you happy. Finding what makes you happy, and never settling for things that don't. At the end of the day, that's truly important, and I want to live my life where every moment of it, for the most part, I'm happy.
And that my friend, is a fact.

Read the latest Tinder project post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment