Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Society and the Single Girl: Why I Now Understand Dear John Letters

I've dealt with so much rejection that I can probably write the book about "How Not to Deal With Rejection: A Memoir on Why I'm Going to Die in the Company of Cats." However, I never thought I would be the person that would be the one doing a rejection myself.
I met this guy in a class last semester, and I thought he wasn't that bad. He was kind of cute, and liked Star Wars. All pluses, so why not?
Therefore, I decided to get to know him by hanging out with him. It was then I learned that I probably shouldn't spend much time with him because we're totally different. Sure, I could be his friend, but I know that it's not going to span much further than that. And that's fine.
However, I think that he enjoyed spending time with me, much more than I could have ever imagined. So, now he hangs out with me whenever he sees me in the student center, and all I want is for him to go away. Yes, I know I sound like a bitch. Last week, I got a friend to pretend that she's in crisis mode. I don't think that I can use this excuse again, and I know he's interested in hanging out again.
While I don't want to be rude, I just don't want to spend more time with him. Honestly, I'm not good at being honest. (See what I did there) Instead, I dodge what I'm feeling as if it were a bullet, and hope it doesn't catch up with me. The thing about the truth is that sometimes it hurts, and I don't want to be the cause of someone else's hurt feelings.
I wish I can write a "Dear John" letter. That way, I can have the best of both worlds: being honest and not having to deal with the consequences of doing so. But how do you write a break up letter to someone you've only hung out with once?
You've got me.
If you have any advice for how to let someone down gently, please send it my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment