Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dear Old Natalie

I was going through a bunch of my old blog entries, mostly as a means of procrasination. I can not believe how different my life is now as opposed to then. I then began to wonder, is there still part of that little 16 year old girl, existing in me today. I began to think about it, and then I composed this letter, to myself at age 16:

Dear Natalie,
First of all, don't drop typing class. Why? Because eventually, the skills that you learn in that class will come in handy, such as when you're trying to type a paper. However, I would advise you to keep the spellcheck on. It would save you from a lot of errors. In addition to that, keep the iPod charged. It will get you through it.
You're just about to go through on what will be one of the harder times in your life. Watching your grandfather, the one who has raised you since birth die of Alzheimer's is perhaps one of the hardest things that you'll have to endure. However, do realize that you're not alone, although you may feel it. You have the love and support of your friends, and during this difficult time, you do then realize whose there for you and whose not. His battle will be long, but do know, although it's difficult to fathom, that he is going to be in a much better place, where he will watch over you as you graduate high school, and begin college. (Which you really should get to deciding where, just saying. But that's okay. You get into an awesome school) Through out all that, he will love you just as much as he would as if he were standing right behind you.
There is so much things I could tell you now that I think will benefit you, but I'll stick to the most important things that I think will help you. No matter what, Natalie, know that everything will be okay, because if it's not okay, it's not the end. Not everyday of your life is going to be happy, and you'll spend a good number of days in the future grieving and walking around with a blackened heart. But then, after a while, know that it will get better. You have a lot to be grateful for; such as a roof over your head, and food to nourish your general well-being. You have a lot of people who will catch you when you fall. Stop looking for approval, because you've got a lot of it. And finally, no one can make you fell inferior without your consent. Don't let someone tell you how to run your life, or bring you down. Yes, words can hurt, but at the end of the day, they can bounce off you like a dart board. Natalie, remember that you're the best that you're meant to be, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Peace,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment