Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Looking Past the Colors.

On Monday night it was announced that the police officer that had shot the Micheal Brown would not be charged with the crime of killing the 18 year old.  Ever since then, Ferguson and the surrounding areas have been involved in complete and utter chaos. Why did he roam free, when clearly he was guilty? Why did he get to walk free?
The issue here isn't about the verdict-its about justice and inequality between the races.
This man clearly should have been guilty in my opinion. As a journalist, I feel like justice should have been served. He killed a person, and should be punished for it. The evidence pointed towards that exact thing. Plain and simple, right?
Unfortunately, that's not always the case in our justice system.
Everyone deserves a chance for their voice to be heard. Everyone deserves a chance to have a say in what goes on. It shouldn't become a black thing nor should it be a white thing. Everyone deserves to feel like they can walk the streets of America without worrying because of their race, they are considered to be less than those who are walking next to them. I believe that justice wasn't served, yes, however, I do believe that it's also important to realize that there are two sides to every story. Maybe the police officer didn't have a chance to have his voice heard. We should also give him a chance to speak his mind, as well as everyone else who has been affected. We will never know what happened that night.
Around my campus there was a protest about the verdict. I didn't participate in it, however, I do have something to say about it. As a journalist, I am proud to see my fellow classmates assemble peacefully to get their voices heard. As an American, I wish that I can do more to give further justice for those who don't have a voice.
So, that's where this blog comes in.
I believe that to get past this in the future, we should look past all of the colors. To instead judge by the color of the skin tone, but by the warmth of the person. To shoot only when you need to defend yourself or your family, and not because that person is black, white or even purple.
For a brighter tomorrow, we have to move foreward. Racism is something that exists today. I believe in having an open mind, but it shouldn't be with me alone. It should be something that is shared with my peers, readers, family, and friends.
Let's look past the colors for a brighter tomorrow. Let's let everyone be equal. Although we live in a free country, I myself know that freedom ain't free.
So, let's change that.
I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment