Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Let's Talk About Love

Love to me has different meanings. We love each other, as we build friendships that mean everything. We fall in love with someone who we hope to be our soulmate. We need to pick out a career path that makes someone happy to go to work every morning and feel actually fulfilled. And of course, we need to learn to love ourselves for we are in a relationship with ourselves longer than we will be with anyone.
In my opinion, we often think that love means being in a relationship. And that's the furthest thing from the truth. Let me break down all of the ways of love that there are out there, because there are more than one.
Loving Yourself: As I said earlier, the most important relationship one can have is the one with themselves. And it's also the most difficult one that we can have. It's the relationship that is also the most complicated. I think to love yourself doesn't mean that you have to love yourself everyday or will you be happy with yourself. Like every other relationship that you will have, the one that you have with yourself is the most complicated. With that being said, I believe that we're never complete. Instead we are constantly evolving and changing into someone different. I believe the true definition of love is when you're taking care of your needs, and realizing that you're a human who makes mistakes. Loving yourself means treating yourself to things that make you happy, such as getting frozen yogurt by yourself or lounging on the couch with Netflix or a good book. Why? Because you know you're worth it. I think we're too critical to ourselves, and that needs to stop. We all make mistakes, and we all do stupid things. The key is to simply learn to love yourself and your flaws. Learn to own being alone. That way, you'll never be lonely despite whether or not you have a boyfriend.
Loving What You Do: I think everyone needs to have a career where they love what they do so much that it's no longer a job nor is the work in the classes in that field considered to be work. It's what you're going to be doing. I'm lucky, and I found that love with Journalism. I am a Journalism nerd and I am excited for my future. I love writing, and I have a long way to go before I am out in the world. However, I have had some amazing opportunities. I can't say one negative thing about Journalism. I love the interviews. I love talking to people. I love writing a story, even though the topic bores me. I love being torn to shreds by my professors, because I know that's going to make me a better person. I think when you find a career that makes you this excited, than you know you're destined for great things no matter what the pay is.
Loving Who You Surround Yourself With: Friends, friends, friends. They are the people who are like family. They are the people who you willingly choose to be in your life. They are the backbone to every good story. They are the unpaid therapists and support systems that you get during good times and in bad. That's why it's important to surround yourself with good people, people that make you happy. Why? Because you deserve it. Plain and simple.
Love in Relationships: Relationships are tricky. People always want to get in them, because they are the sure ingredient for happiness. Or that's what they think anyways. However, you don't really need someone to make you happy. You need to learn how to make yourself happy.
The biggest thing about relationships, at least in my point of view, is timing and feelings. Your heart is a bigger compass than your brain, because it knows where you're going better than you ever can. It knows what's right for you, even if it's not logical. Only you know what's right for you, and that's something that a lot of people don't get. I don't know why, but I'm never worried about relationships. What's meant to be will happen. Sometimes, I believe that we try to be a bigger being than fate. Now as I enter my 20s, I simply let fate take the wheel. Why? Because I want to be with someone who makes me feel amazing. I want someone whose touch never lose the intense heat or burn of the fire. I want someone who knows me better than the back of their hand. And finally, I want someone who I am happy to be with, and I feel right being with. I may be only 21, but I know what I want.
So at the end of the day, these are the opinions about the various directions of love in my life. I believe that there's more to love in life than a significant other. And if you're doubting it, remember that you're loved. If you have friends, great books and a great place to call home that's love. No boyfriend is required. 

No comments:

Post a Comment