Friday, August 21, 2015

Book Review: Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

 saint anything sarah dessen book review young adult book | www.readbreatherelax.com
Source
Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors, so when I learned that she was coming out with a new novel, I knew that it was a must read for the summer and it deserved a place on my summer reading list.
So, finally after months of putting it off I went to the library to get the book. (The library is my place of choice to get books because I don't actually have to pay for them.) And once I started to read it I couldn't stop.
The book was about Sydney. Her brother Peyton has been going through a challenging time with his court dates, and currently in jail for a hit and run. Sydney's life without a doubt has been affected by it. She's responsible for carrying the weight of her brother's responsibilities and how they have effected her parents. Her mother is in denial and believe Peyton is the victim. Her father stays in silence. Sydney lives a life of what she's supposed to be doing rather than what she wants to be doing.
That is until she meets Layla and her brother Mac. Soon, Sydney spends much of her free time with them. For the first time, she's living not in her brother's shadow but in her own light.
Overall, I thought that this book was really well written. It was one of those books that once you started, you simply couldn't put down no matter what. I liked the main character Sydney a lot. I felt that I could relate to her because she's a lot like me. I however didn't like Sydney's mother because I thought that she was ignorant of her daughter. I understand that she's worried about her son, but she also has another child who has problems of her own. She also expected her daughter to be perfect, however she made excuses for her son who was always in trouble.
Overall, this was an amazing book to read and I definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment