Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Is It Really Freedom?

For those of you who don't know me personally, one of my best friends ever is gay. Honestly, he is one of the most amazing people that I've ever met. He's the best people that I've ever met, and I've met a lot of people. 
Yesterday while watching the news, I saw a story about how a officials in a CT (my homestate) school said it was okay for a kid to wear an anti-gay T-Shirt. (Article featured below) Once, I saw that I felt sick to my stomach. I understand that people have the right to wear whatever they desire. After all, we have the right of freedom of speech and opinion, but I think that there should be a line to where that ends. That line should be ended when someone gets offended. You know how people say that it's all fun and games when somebody gets hurt? Yeah, well it should be. 
I'm a very supportive person of the gay community, because gay people are people too. I've worn purple on purple day, and shut up on stay quiet day. During those times, I've noticed others who would try to hurt the people involved in those protests. 
Judging someone based on what gender they love is something that shouldn't happen. Unfornataly, it DOES happen. However, as time moves on, we are getting better with censoring those words. However, there is still enough hate to override the amount of love that is out there. I think the person shouldn't wear this shirt, simply because of the numerous amount of people who would get hurt by the person wearing the shirt.
I now ask you, my readers to do something for me. To stop using the slang 'that's so gay.' To stop making homosexual or bisexual people feel like their not good enough. To make every person who is different feel like their loved. 
Is it freedom of speech when the person who fights for the freedom is hurting another party? My opinion? No. I believe that the Golden Rule should come into play. If you don't have anything nice to say or wear then keep it to yourself. Some people follow this rule, others don't. I think that this is something that is an example of people not following that rule. Wearing a shirt that promotes this sort of behavior is wrong, in my book. If you view homophobic ways, then keep them to yourselves, or express them in a way that doesn't hurt others. 
Thank you. 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/seth-groody-connecticut-teen-anti-gay-shirt_n_2767945.html

No comments:

Post a Comment