Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In Between The Lines.

I've decided to try my hand at reading Grimm's Fairy Tales. I'm on page 20, so I have a long way to go before finishing the book. However while reading it, I did realize something.
When watching the Disney version, one can conclude that they are overly happy and joyous. There's nothing wrong with that because happiness is something that everyone should look to obtain. However,  it's not realistic. After all, not everyone is happy every day of the week.
In the Grimm's version of the fairy tale, I noticed that indeed the stories are a tad bit more realistic. If you read between the lines, you find more then just magical creatures, fairies and witches. You find life lessons, things that they didn't put in the Disney version. (Sorry Disney, as much as I loved you when I was a kid, this is kind of true.) We've all read Cinderella, right? (Okay, fine or saw the movie.) Cinderella talks about going through rough times, to equal to a good time. (Or in her case, she marries a prince and goes on to be happily ever after. Either one works for you) But, she's often my favorite princess because she had a lot to go through to get to that happiness. For example, she did all of the work for people that really took advantage of her. Which sucks, if you ask me.
Fairy tales are like people. Sometimes, you have to read between the lines of them to find out their true meaning. Interpreting things can lead to be wrong, but if you follow your gut then you will never go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment