Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Cycle of Imprints.

One of the hardest things that I've ever had to do was watching my grandfather die. I remember his eyes widening with sadness, his voice hoarse as if he had laryngitis and the sound of his heavy breathing. I can still remember surrounding the hospital bed the night that we found out that he would be on hospice care, to make him die easier, perhaps more comfortably. My grandmother cried in the bathroom, and it was the only time I was in the emergency room with out the urge to pass out. 
He was like that for a month. The last ten days of his life were spent without food or water, just chewing ice cubes. He suffered for over six year, the patriarch of our family who took care of his slowly began to need to be taken care of. 
Today, I think about his death, and begin to wonder why people have to suffer the way they do. Good people, who have done good things, went to church and paid their taxes on time. People who would do anything to help another soul on this earth. They were sometimes the ones who suffered the most. Unfortunately, although I have many books that have the answers to many things, I'm afraid that I don't have the answer to this one. 
Death is something that is just part of the cycle of life. We're born, we live and then we die. It's morbid, but true. We live to make an impression I believe. The impression is the people that we know and the things that we do. That way, when we die we leave a footprint on the world, something that lets humanity know that we were there. 
What's your footprint that you'll leave on the world? Mine is the words that I mix together into lovely sentences. I have friends, family, and teachers who probably either think that I'm the best student ever or really lazy. Or both. Someday, I'll wear a man's wedding band, and have two little daughters of my very own . I'll have left my mark to the patients I conseled, and the readers I have. My goal of life is to make an imprint on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment