Monday, December 23, 2013

Society and the Single Girl-The Nun

Sometimes, I feel like I am the nun in my group. I don't drink, smoke, and I don't have sex. I feel like compared to my friends, I am not considered to be fun, or cool. Even though I am no longer in high school, where being cool is semi important, I still feel like I'm the nerd of my group of my friends. 
I choose not to drink (although I do plan to drink wine at dinner when I'm old enough), and I don't think that I'll ever become a smoker. As for the sex thing, I really don't feel like I am old or mature enough to make an informed decision about it. I've never been in an official serious relationship, so therefore I have not been in a place where I could consider it. 
Often when on the table at girls night I feel like the one whose always restricted. The one whose always bond by her strange views of the world. I sometimes feel like I am the one who doesn't know how to have fun. The one who doesn't know how to let her hair down. The one that doesn't drink, smoke, or rat her hair. Kind of like Sandra Dee but with skinny jeans.
But my kind of fun isn't going to clubs, or it isn't getting wasted every weekend either. My kind of fun is going out to dinner, seeing a movie/play/musical, getting coffee, and reading books. When I am at home, I write and I read. It's not much of a life, but hey it's something. I like to shop, perhaps a bit too much, and I like to go and see the world. Once, I was talking to a guy, and he asked what I liked to do for fun. I told him and then he basically insulted what I enjoyed to do. If it's not fun, or you don't like it than you don't have to inject your opinion in it. 
I guess that I will never understand the drinking aspect of college. I do my best not to judge those who do, but I just don't get it. There are multiple ways for you to have fun without booze. Argumentably, I've heard that things are more fun with booze, but there are ways for you to have fun without it. I may be the nun in my group, but for the most part I am okay with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment