Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Society and the Single Girl-Domestic Drama

Recently, I was cooking with my mother. FIrst of all, let me tell you all-- I am not the world's best cook. Anyways, I was epically failing so she turns around and says 'your husband is going to leave you if you don't learn how to cook.' When I said that I may or may not want to get married she gave me a look as if to say 'well, what else are you going to do?'
Woah. 
Hold on. 
What does marriage have to do with not being such a good cook? 
In our society, gender plays a huge role even though nobody would want to admit it. Girls are taught how to tend to others, and cook/bake. Guys are taught to build things and to be adventerous. Guys have the career, and the girl is the one at home in an apron baking apple pie. Women can never have a career, and have a family. They have to be adaptable to the man, almost to the point where they depend on them. 
Ok. No. 
I can't cook, and I want to be in a relationship where I am someone's equal. I don't want to do the whole housewife thing. I don't want to tend to children and be a stay at home mom. At the same time, I don't want to do the Miranda Pressely thing where I am a total slave to my job, and my family just sees me on occaision. Why does it have to be one or the other? 
We live in a society where if you go to bend the rules its okay, but if you dare to break them than you are shunned. I don't get why that is. Why can't the man cook, if he wants to? Why can't the man and the woman be the breadwinner of the family? Why do we even have to wear a white dress to validate that our relationship is forever? 
I don't have the answer to all of that perfectly honest. I do know how I feel about this. Personally, at this point in my life I don't know what is going to happen. I could get married. I might not-I might end up being in a partnership instead. I want someone that will accept me despite the fact that I can't cook, can write like Carrie Bradshaw, and want to spend lazy Sundays watching 'New Girl.' Every relationship is different, like every person on the planet. Domestic abilities shouldn't be a factor of whether or not a mate is okay. 
So to all of the girls out there who are single, in their early 20s like me. Be yourself. Burn pancakes. Spend your Sundays watching Netflix. Eat a lot of cupcakes. Whether you have a plus one, or no one remember that you will always be fabolous. 
And that's a fact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment