Friday, October 24, 2014

The Movies Lied.

I really have been on a movie kick as of late. (Thank my Netflix for this problem.) My favorite kind of movies, judge me, are chick flicks. Give me something sad, or something with a happy ending, and I'm all good. However, despite the fact that these movies are supposed to mimic real life, it's no secret that they don't.
Movies have happy endings, big romantic gestures, and people professing their love to each other in the biggest and best way possible. After a bloody breakup, the guy comes back and says that he can't live without her. Or my personal favorite, taking her up on stage and performing some dance number to one of the best songs ever. (Patrick Swayze, you did it right.) The problem..none of this is real. Well let me rephrase that. I don't think that it's real.
Movies have been shaping our way of thinking about relationships since our days of watching Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. Fairy tales and romantic comedies are similar in many ways. For example, in Sleeping Beauty (that was my favorite, other than Belle), she needed to awake by true love's kiss. Well, what if the prince never came? Did she eventually wake up, with a pink or blue dress? (I liked the pink one, by the way) Did she get a job? Or did she never wake up?
Thanks to Disney and Nora Ephron, my views on love have been changed. I've come to expect a complete profession of love when someone loves me. I'm half expecting to find someone whose like Augustus Waters, who tells me that 'I am in love with you' more times in a day than he does 'hello.' When we're comparing notes from our real life to our lives as a movie, our real lives often come up short. Whether it's something that was said to us, or something that happened, our lives aren't made to sell. And that's okay.
Katy Perry said it best, 'when it's not like the movies, than it's not how it should be.' Homegirl said it right, because the best romances are the ones that come when you're not looking. What your bae tells you may not be written by Nicholas Sparks, but that's okay because sometimes what he says can be a bit too cliche. (No offense.) What your bae tells you is sincere, and it's real. To me that is all that matters, but that's just me.
So, let's leave the acting to the stage. Let's leave the romance and the big romantic proclamations at the movie theaters next to the super buttery popcorn, and let's leave the drama for the Oscars. Let's accept life at face value, something that is beautiful and wonderful and bittersweet at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment