Friday, May 15, 2015

So You Want to Be A Writer?

It's safe to say part of blogging is writing. Over the past year, I've learned so much about writing and style. All of this translated into improvements made on the quality of writing in my blog posts. Sure, I make some spelling mistakes (don't we all!) but here's some writing tips for bloggers, aspiring writers and journalists everywhere.

Go through everything at least once: I know once you're finished with something, you're going to want to print that paper or hit "publish" if you're blogging. But, go through it to make sure everything is spelled right and things aren't repetitive. If things are worded awkwardly, go through it and try to make it worded better.
Avoid thats: One of the bigger things I've learned this year was the word that. For the most part, that is a filler word. For a blog, you're going to want to get to the point. Using filler words will not only put you over your word count, but also delay your message. Having trouble deciding? Write the sentence with out that. If it makes sense, than don't use it.
Read: I believe if you're going to be a great writer, you're going to have to read. A lot. Magazines, newspapers, novels, you name it. I say this because by reading more you're getting your brain to work in ways you've never imagined. Plus, you get ideas for posts, as well as inspiration to try different styles of writing.
Have friends edit it: I have a lot of friends who served as copy editors at the newspaper I worked at. If it's a paper or something, I try to have them edit it. I also spend a lot of time editing papers that my friends give me. Having peers edit your papers, or even blog posts can get you a pair of fresh eyes to notice what you've never previously noticed.
Got writing tips? Share them below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment