Monday, May 11, 2015

What I Learned This Semester

This semester was one of the hardest I've ever had. For the first time well ever, I was extremely overwhelmed to the point where I felt like I couldn't get out of the crumbling weight of everything I had to do. As a result, I had to drop a class and went to therapy. I felt like I had no reason to be overwhelmed when others I knew had three jobs and six classes. Who was I to complain with four classes and two jobs?
For a while I was depressed and really stressed to put it simply. All I did was write and do school related things. I never had time for fun.
Then, I went to L.A. and started my therapy sessions. And something changed. I decided to do things for me to make me happy. I often felt like I was surrounded with people who simply weren't happy. They constantly complained about everything and wanted to be the center of attention. In L.A., I made friends that actually cared more about how awful their life is and people who had goals in life. They were ambitious and actually made the changes. I think the trip really opened my eyes about happiness and eliminating those who who didn't actually care about me. Or people that I felt really weren't worth my time. Yes, it may sound rude. However, there's something about who you surround yourself with. They begin to rub off on you and make you feel awful about yourself.
I also learned how much I love writing. Between the constant papers and articles, one would think I would decide to crack and quit. However, it made me realize how much I really loved writing, because although the list of things to do felt over whelming, I actually enjoyed what I was doing. With every interview and every article, I noticed I was getting better. Better at writing, better at interviews and a better journalist. If you love something, you want to enhance your skills. In a way, this semester taught me that everyone needs improvement. I can't wait until the second half of my journalism major starts, because then I would get even better. 
Furthermore, there's some other things I've learned this semester. I've learned to never take pictures in New York. I learned how to write a better lead. I learned what shows to watch once you've finished watching a show on Netflix. And lastly, I learned everything happens for a reason. 
So, internship time?

No comments:

Post a Comment