Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Having Fun or Being Responsible?

When I go out with friends, I often refrain from drinking, partying and doing other things such as using marijuana recreationally. I also don't condemn those who do those things. My Friday nights are often spent at home watching Netflix with my dog because I'm too tired to do much else. It's a choice I made personally, but when I do go out it's rare. I'm an introvert and I'm proud of it.
However, with some of my friends, I feel like when I go out with them I have to be the responsible one. I don't drink or smoke, so it's quick for me to become the voice of reason and to take care of those who have. It's not fair, and it's something I feel should be addressed. Just because I am not under any influence or high doesn't mean that I have to assume the right of caretaker.
Sure, getting drunk can be kind of fun. I can often be perceived as "innocent" for not partaking in a lot of partying activities. That's not a realistic way to judge someone. My version of fun isn't getting plastered on a Friday and Saturday night. My version of fun doesn't contain drinking. I don't drink because it's a personal choice I made for myself. However, I have friends whose versions of fun do in fact contain those things.
Let me say this first before I continue: I do in fact care about my friends. I don't judge them because they have a lot to drink. The reason why I take care of them is simply because I care about them, and want them to not do things that could potentially hurt them.
I'm not writing this to judge them. I'm writing this to say I'm sick and tired of having to be the "responsible" one when it comes to friends drinking.  I'm tired of worrying about friends who make unhealthy decisions, such as driving drunk and then feeling responsible for them when they do make those mistakes. I'm tired of having to take care of friends who indulge too much. This has happened a few times now and it's something that I'm sick of doing. It's really not fun nor is it fair to me, because on the rare occasion I do go out, I want to actually have fun. I deserve that, because I work hard enough.
I believe if you're going to drink, you need to be responsible for yourself. Just because you've had a few drinks doesn't mean that you forgo the right to make important decisions for yourself. Don't become someone else's problem to take care of you if you're drinking too much and making bad decision. If you want to have a drink, designate one driver to drive. Then, every time you're going out alternate them. Be sure to not drink too much so that designator doesn't have to take care of you if things go crazy. Be responsible, because you're an adult and need to responsible for yourself.
I'm writing this as a rant and to make people more aware about how I'm feeling. I shouldn't have to choose between having fun or being responsible.  It's just really unfair for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment