Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"The Answers Aren't In The Back" Girl Between the Lines

This week's Girl Between the Lines post is to talk about what you thought your life would be like now, and how is it similiar and different. Well, let me tell you. I had the hardest time trying to figure out what to write for this. But, finally I found something that floated my boat so here goes nothing.

It's 2014. I'm a sophomore in college, and I will soon be saying buh-bye to my teen years. I can't believe that time has passed as fast as it did. I don't feel like I'm almost 20. I feel the same as I always did. When I was younger, I thought that being in college would mean that I was going to be automatically fabolous and that I was able to put my life together. I would be sophisticated, and know what the hell I was doing. Well, that wasn't true. I came into college not knowing what to expect, and I still don't know what the hell is going on with my life. I've watched so many television shows, as the children went off and went to college. They had a fabolous time, naturally. I expected that my time in college would be something similar to that. As I entered adulthood, I coudn't help but want to know where all the answers were.
That's the thing about life, there's no answers in the back of the book. You're stuck in probelmatic situations with nothing but your brain and your instinct. I guess that I thought that when I got to be this age everything would fall into place, kind of like Cinderella's glass slipper fitting perfectly. I thought that I would have my license for starters. As for the rest of it, I kind of always knew that I wanted to do. I wanted to be a writer, despite the fact that I was unsure what kind of writer I wanted to be. Back then, I thought that I didn't want to be a journalist. Ha, I was wrong.
However, despite not having the answers to everything, I did find one thing that was the same. That I wasn't alone. Over the course of my college career thus far, in addition to high school, I have found some of the most interesting characters that you will ever meet. Each and every one is different. I always kind of knew that I had a lot of friends, and to be able to accumlate so many over a period of time reminds me that I will never be able to go through rocky seas alone. We're all messed up and imperfect in our own ways. But here's the thing-it's okay.
I can't plan or predict what the next few years is going to bring for me. I know that I am going to graduate in two years from May. I know that I want to be a journalist more than anything. But, that's all that I got. Sometimes, I wish that I can pull out some sort of crystal ball and just get the answers. Would I have a boyfriend? Would I be going to graduate school? I guess that the younger, more naive me thought that I would kind of know that by now. However, the older, wiser me begs to differ. I guess part of life is simply not knowing everything. The fun part being that you get to go through a twisted maze to get there. But, hopefully at the end of the day it will be worth it.

8 comments:

  1. Getting there really is the fun part and seeing how twists and turns brought you to exact moments in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that TV morphed my view on how thought my college career would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think tv morphed my entire life lol but that's okay.

      Delete
  3. It's so hard not being able to know everything! haha! I love how you mentioned that you haven't been alone in any of those stages! That's such a great thing to point out! A lot of our places in life have been experienced by someone else as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all had the idea that college would be fabulous and easy and we'd be sophisticated when we were younger!! I always thought I would have everything together in my 20's... and now I think that about my 30's... so I think we can guess how we'll feel then, too :)

    ReplyDelete