Thursday, April 30, 2015

Reacting to a University President's Comment

A few days ago, a video of an out of hand college party surfaced. Now, this scene has all of the components of a regular college party--red solo cups and an extremely high volume--but there was something that was unusual about this particular one. And that was, the fact that the University president was in attendance of this off campus party. He encouraged the partying, and also jokingly said the University should buy more houses in the area, a "joke" on the behavior of many of his students.
That university was Quinnipiac. And Quinnipiac is in my hometown of Hamden, Connecticut. Although the president apologized, I still find it problematic that he can suggest even buying more houses for the students to party in. Shouldn’t you be cracking down on it?
I've lived in Hamden my whole life. I've enjoyed the delicious food as a regular at Acropolis Diner, I walked on the canal trail and I've been through all of Hamden's public schools. However, I believe my hometown has been taken over by the Quinnipiac University Bobcats, also knows as slob cats by revival Yale.
Before I continue let me say this--I don't hate everyone who goes to Quinnipiac or have anything against the students who go there either. I've been there before, and I enjoy the beauty of the campus as well as how talented some of the people I know go there are. 
For example, one of my favorite bloggers, Sami from Sparkle and Shine goes to school there, as well as my best friend does. There are good people there, and that’s not what I’m talking about.
I’m talking about those select few who overshadow the others. They are the ones who in a sense take over my town, and turn it into their personal playground to do whatever you choose. Whether it’s being drunk and disorderly to the point where it can disturb others to just in general, or just simply not caring about town property, the impact of the slob cats in the past few years has changed the town dynamic.
For example, my mom and I were at the local diner. Some girls came in and took over the restaurant. They threw beer cans in the parking lot and were extremely loud and rude. They even broke a towel paper dispenser in the bath room. To me, that’s a bit going in the extreme and it’s one of the few examples that I have about the ‘slob cats’ behavior.
I don’t hate Quinnipiac or am here to bash them. I do however ask there be a change on how the students treat Hamden. I get it that to many college is chance to party and break free the chains of home life. However, do it so you’re not at the expense of others. If someone is complaining about how loud someone is, then there’s a problem there. Just like you have the right to party, there’s also the right to tell someone that they are partying way too much. And if that happens to you, then you have to respect why someone said that they have a problem with how loud you are.
Treat Hamden with respect. That’s all we ask. We will do the same for you, as we are welcoming you into their own town. We have a lot of cool things going on here, and we love that you are there. But please, don’t abuse it. Would you rather be remembered as partiers or for being really good at what you do?
As a resident of Hamden, I don’t want it to be known as “town of the Slobcats.” For all I know is that I’ll end up at QU for my Master’s. I don’t want it to be known as a school for the party animals go to, because it’s a really good school. Clean up your act, QU. That’s all I ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment