Thursday, July 2, 2015

Here Comes the Barely Legal Bride?!

When you think of 20 going on 21, you think of exploration. You're just about to be able to legally drink, and next year you'll be a Taylor Swift single. (I don't know about you, but I sure as hell am feeling 22) You'll graduate college, usually, and start your "big girl" full time job. Some move out, while others move around. But, is this the time to think of another committment-marriage?
Yesterday, while on Facebook I saw a status of a friend of my ex-boyfriend's. She was going to get married in three or so hours. And while I knew she was engaged, this came as a bit of a shock. She was about my age, and she was already put together enough to get married? Like how is that possible?
 I can barely remember to put the car in park...much less get ready to become a...wife. I want to be done wearing the graduation gown before even thinking about the wedding gown.
Before I continue, let me say this. I'm not opposed to marriage whatsoever. I think it's a good thing when two people get together and decide they love each other enough to be married. Maybe one day, I'll end married myself. However, I think that getting married before 25 is well weird and "too young to fall in love." (Thanks Motley Crue.) Even though the Duggars may think it's a good idea...actually wait don't listen to the Duggars..
Looking at her status (and stalking through her engagement photos), made me realize something. In the next few years, my timelines will be filled with photos of rings, couples looking to get married and of course many from the actual big day. Then there will be babies and all of that family stuff.
While that's cool, I'm not ready to get married. To get into a relationship, yes. But, I want to graduate college. I want to get my master's in Digital Journalism. I want to work. I want to fall in love like the way one falls asleep. I want to go to Italy, and travel the world. I want to learn languages, and I want to write novels that my grandkids will be reading in their classrooms. I want to be something other than someone else's partner or wife.  I don't want to plan ahead for my marriage. I simply want to live each day with love and without expectation.
I still have a long way to go. However, when the time is right rest be assured. I'll rock the veil like no one's business.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment