Friday, October 16, 2015

Sex and the City: Carrie's "Big" Problem

                                                                      Source
I've been a fan of Sex and the City since I was a junior to high school, and consider Carrie Bradshaw to be one of my biggest influencers. I also credit her to being the reason why I started to blog, which later lead me to decide I wanted to write professionally. However, even though I'm obsessed with the show, I have a few bones to pick about the show that as I've gotten older that I've been having problems with.
I speak for myself when I say most of the show is extremely relatable. I'm a lot like Carrie. For example, we're both shopaholics, we both overthink and we both are writers. However, the portrayal of her relationship with Mr. Big was a big too overdramatic.
Carrie constantly overthought and overreacted to many things when it came to that relationship. For example, when Mr. Big hadn't called her after having sex on the first date, Carrie assumed that he didn't want to talk to her ever again. Later on in that same episode, Carrie began to think that Mr. Big was ashamed of her based on a few minor details. Naturally, he wasn't. She later storms in and yells at him. Another example, is a few episodes later when she farts while in bed with Mr. Big. Through out that episode, she tries everything to get him to sleep with her again. Notice the pattern? She often jumps to conclusions.
These are just a few examples that we see in the early seasons of the show, where Carrie and Big's relationship was the most prominent one featured. Each of these moments demonstrates Carrie being insecure about Big and whether or not he actually felt something for her. I think she wanted the relationship to be perfect, so if he showed any signs of pulling away, she'd assume it was because he was no longer interested in her. And, that's not always the case.
People aren't always going to act like Prince Charming 24/7. Mr. Big is an example of that, because he had other things going on in his life. Since he was a big businessman, he'd often have to travel and be away.

Source
Carrie on the other hand, would just obsess constantly about the relationship. She often would do anything to be with him, such as ditch her friends, and later on have an affair. While Carrie and Big were in fact meant to be together in my opinion, her behavior in the early seasons was often seen as being over the top. She's overanalyzing her fart, and then she makes a total idiot of herself as he's trying to watch a baseball game. If someone's watching a game, chances are they wanted to be focused on the game. And it has nothing to do with Carrie.
I think the reason why she's acting this way is simply because she's insecure about the relationship ending, and that he's going to leave her based on the fact that she's not perfect. She's so afraid he's going to leave her, so when he does something that's out of the ordinary or something that mirrors him pushing away so she'll freak out about it. And that's a big problem in my opinion.
When I first saw the show, I honestly thought her behavior was normal. As I got older, I began to realize that she's acting a bit too ridiculous when it comes to those things. Don't worry Carrie, I still love you. But, you have to chill out and realize Mr. Big actually loves you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment