Friday, October 23, 2015

Book Review: You First by Lea Michele


For those of you who don't know, I am a huge fan of journaling. I've kept a journal of thoughts and various things since the end of my senior year in high school. I may not always have time to write in it, however, I still manged to fill 5 to 6 books during that time.
"You First" by Lea Michele is a book about journaling. The former Glee star, also author of Brunette Ambition, gives a series of various journal prompts to write about. Some of the examples include thinking about your family, recording exercise and eating habits, and talking about ideal relationships. There's a section for each topic, as well as space to write down your thoughts and reflections. In mine, I've used my own personal journal, but I think this format is extremely effective.
I've been using the book for a couple of days now for inspiration for my own journaling. So far, I find the topics very helpful. As a stressed college student, I always don't have the time to take care of myself. This book does exactly that, because it forces me to take a step back and reflect on certain things.

One of the prompts I liked was to talk about past relationships and write about the patterns I've noticed with them. This helped me further realize things about myself that I may not have realized before. This then prompted me to change things about myself for the better, which is always good to do.
Journaling is something that I use to relieve stress. However, for some, it can be hard to begin. While I highly recommend this book for anyone, I especially recommend this for those who want to begin their journal but are stuck on what to say or write. This book gives you prompts on what to say, and it can lead you into self-discovery.
I recommend this book highly. But, if you're going to argue that "I don't have time for this!" let me say that for those who argue that taking the time out of their day to just spend 15 minutes to reflect is crucial in my opinion. Rome wasn't built in a day, so you don't have to fill the entire thing up at once. By doing one prompt a day, it helps you relax and even helps you discover something about yourself that you may not have noticed.
Therefore, I believe this book does in fact put you first, which I believe is an important mindset for many to have. Myself included.
Disclaimer: I've recieved this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment