Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"Oh Captain, My Captain".

 robin williams quotes 1
Source
On Monday, I logged onto my Facebook to see what all of my friends were up to. One of the statuses was about the beloved actor Robin Williams along with the caption RIP.
I honestly thought that it was a joke, or something.
However, moments later thousands of other statuses kept on pouring in my newsfeed. After Googling him, it was confirmed that the actor did in fact die that day. And then, I stood there in disbelief, because he was so young, so beloved, and so funny.
His roles ranged from a therapist in 'Good Will Hunting', a crazed dad in 'RV', a dad posing as a nanny in 'Mrs. Doubtfire', and of course an unforgettable genie in "Aladdin.' Each and every one of us have seen at least one of his movies, and have been touched in some way, shape or form. At the very least, he had made us laugh at least once in our lifetime.
My personal favorite movie of his has to be 'Mrs. Doubtfire.' As a child with divorced parents I felt that I could personally relate to it simply because of the ending quote. "Oh, my dear Katie. You know, some parents, when they’re angry, they get along much better when they don’t live together. They don’t fight all the time, and they can become better people, and much better mummies and daddies for you. And sometimes they get back together. And sometimes they don’t, dear. And if they don’t, don’t blame yourself. Just because they don’t love each other anymore, doesn’t mean that they don’t love you. There are all sorts of different families, Katie. Some families have one mommy, some families have one daddy, or two families. And some children live with their uncle or aunt. Some live with their grandparents, and some children live with foster parents. And some live in separate homes, in separate neighborhoods, in different areas of the country – and they may not see each other for days, or weeks, months… even years at a time. But if there’s love, dear… those are the ties that bind, and you’ll have a family in your heart, forever. All my love to you, poppet, you’re going to be all right… bye-bye." In the midst of all of that comical action, there's that heartwarming quote. It's something that I feel like many of us who went through a divorce could honestly relate to since many children do blame themselves for the divorce of their parents. In that movie, we see that it's not in fact the child's fault, and Mrs. Doubtfire stands as a reminder of that.
Rest in peace, Robin. You've made us laugh for 40 years, and you've suffered your demons. The world, as well as myself, can honestly say that it was a great loss. Your death is a reminder of what great humor can mask. My heart, prayers, and condolences go out to your family.

Are you struggling with depression? Please get help today. You are not alone, and if you feel like you are, please shoot me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment