Friday, March 14, 2014

Fictional Friday; The River

Hey there guys. So, I wanted to share with you some fiction that I wrote. I actually had to write it for a poetry class, believe it or not. However, I am so excited to be writing some short stories, thus creating a new feature on Finding My Voice called 'Fictional Friday'. Nonetheless, all of the story is completely fiction. If there are any representations of any actual characters, then it's completely coincidental. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy the story.

Here we were again. Near a peaceful river, where there was nothing but old memories, and new discoveries. Where I sat on a gray boulder with him by my side, so close that I could hear his breathing. It was so quiet, so peaceful, and I could see the reflection of the water mirroring up back at us. This was our place, that one place of peace that we can go to whenever we just needed a break from the world. Greenery was surrounding us. I felt like it was in some twisted real life fairy tale.
Daniel looked down at me, and he smiled. I remember when I first fell in love with that smile. He was handsome, kind of like the stereotypical Prince Charming. He had floppy auburn hair, the kind that just seemed to naturally fall just right. It was in a high school crowded cafeteria, where there was loud noise, a couple making out a table over from us, and obnoxious freshmen that thought that they knew everything when they clearly didn't. He sat next to me, and we became friends.
The last time we were here, the lines between friendship and relationship have been blurred. It was two years ago, when we were fresh out of high school. We went to prom together, and all signs pointed that we were headed towards coupleville. But, when I started college things changed.
Now, things were different. We knew that we were meant to be friends. We knew that it would only be fair, to my boyfriend to be friendzoned. In some way, we did that to each other. But still, there was some kind of strong feeling deep down in the lining of it.
"Remember when we went here a few years ago?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence.
He nodded. "Yeah." He seemed like he was depressed about it, an underlying tone of regret that was underneath it all.
"Is there something wrong?" I asked.
He nodded.
"What?" I challenged.
"I regret not kissing you here two years ago", he muttered. I was reminded of Charlie Brown who was too shy to even approach the little red haired girl. He sounded reluctant to admit it, like he knew it was wrong.
"Why don't you now?" I asked. I knew that this was wrong, but I really didn't care. I had Andrew's feelings to consider. Well, I should consider them anyways. All I could think about was the hunger that I felt for Daniel's lips that were gently brushing against mine. I shouldn't be thinking about it, because I had made my decision and we were now just friends. This wasn't in the relationship bible. This was in the relationship commandments. Thou shall not kiss people that were not your partner.
"What about your boyfriend?" he asked.
"I think that you're going to become my boyfriend. That is, if you decide to kiss me right this very second." I smiled and attempted to gaze at him flirtatiously. I failed.
He kissed me, and it was wonderful. It felt like something was charging between the two of us, like I was positive and he was negative. Together we were perfect, however, I still thought about Andrew. His face when I would tell him its over.
However, I didn't think about that now. I thought about how good it was to kiss him in this very moment. How his lips felt like pillows when they rubbed against mine. I wondered if he was wearing Chapstick.
He pulled away. "So....?" he asked.
I swallowed hard. I knew what I had to do, despite the fact that it was going to break Andrew's heart. "I have a call to make when I get home."


The rest of the day was filled with us making out near that rock. When I finally stumbled in my house, I saw Andrew on my porch. With a bouqet of freshly picked daisies. A rock formed at the pit of my stomach.
He kissed my cheek. "How was your walk?"
"It was okay."
"Is something wrong?"
I stared at him, in the eyes. I knew that I couldn't lie to him. He reminded me of a puppy. He's intentions were innocent, and he was loyal. Never would Andrew dream of kissing another girl.
I gotta tell him. "Andrew I kissed another guy."
He looked like I told him that the world was ending. I could see tears fill up in the brim of his light blue eyes, and he trying to be brave and making sure he stood strong.
"Daniel?"
"Yes."
He turned away.
"I'm sorry." There was nothing else to say, despite the fact that I actually wasn't. My actions weren't something that I was proud of, however I didn't feel one ounce of sorrow for them. I guess I was the most selfish person in the world, not caring about others' feelings. I must be driving a knife into his heart, and now I couldn't even feel sorry for the blood he was shedding on my account.
"It's over", he said, voice breaking. He turned to leave. I didn't stop him. I watched him drive away in the car that once made us, well us. I didn't cry. All I wanted was Daniel.


I decided to wait a week before calling him. I wanted to show Andrew some degree of respect before flaunting my relationship with Daniel. When I finally did, the phone didn't ring.
"Hey", he said. He sounded like he was waiting for my call.
"You gotta moment?"
"All of the time in the world."
"Come over then."
In five minutes, he was at my porch.
"So we broke up."
He took it as an invitation to kiss me.
I pulled away. "Wait."
"What?" he asked. "I can kiss you now."
"Says who?" I asked biting my lip.
"Says your boyfriend", he said.
"You have to ask me that", I said.
"Okay", he asked. He got down on one knee, and grabbed my hand. His palms were drenched with sweat.
"Lauren. You've been my best friend since sophomore year. However, I want you to be more than that. Will you be my girlfriend?"
I nodded. I knew this was right, depsite the fact of the lack of sorrow that I felt when Andrew on this same porch said we were done. Some things come natural despite that we may not want them to. And therefore, we must not feel sorry for them. Instead, we must embrace the natural things and how like rivers,someting things just flow together.

Like they are supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment