Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Me, the Future Mom.

It's hard to imagine, at my age being married. It's even harder to imagine myself with children, and as a mother. It seems like a long way off, but as I go onto my Facebook and see people who I knew when I was little with kids of their own I think of one thing. We're getting old.
Every now and then, I do then wonder what I would be like as a parent. What would I allow my kids to do? What would be right for them, and what would be wrong?
While at work one day, I did realize one thing that I wanted my kids to have. That my friends, is books. Lots and lots of them. Growing up, my mother never said no to books. Neither did my grandmother. So, because of that I have a lot of books. I believe that because of the amount of books I've read, the more information that I was able to contain, and the more my imagination as a child grew. As an adult, I am still an avid reader when I have time. I read at least one book a week. (In case you all cared, and I know that you do, I am currently reader the Shopaholic series. It's amazing, and I recommend it if you guys want a quick and easy read) Reading things for class is honestly no issue, because I am able to do it efficiently, and with little to no problems.
I think that reading should start as early is possible. Granted, I am not going to read to my kid in my stomach while I am pregnant. But, I promise to read to them as soon as they are old enough to know what I am doing. I promise to follow in my mother's footsteps and never refuse books when my children ask for them. I want them to enjoy books just as much as I did. If they don't, then that's perfectly fine as well. At the end of the day, I want my children to be happy about reading. I don't want them to feel like it's a chore of some sort. I think that way, they come to enjoy it more.
As an English major, I say that books were a huge part of my journey to tell a story. I hope one day to line the shelves with my own books next to the ones I currently aspire to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment