Tuesday, December 16, 2014

What I Learned This Semester

This semester came and went so quickly! I can't believe how fast it went by, and that it is almost Christmas. Today I completed my fifth semester in college. I must say that it has been one of the best semesters of my college career. I know that at the end of the semester, almost everyone says that. However, I firmly believe that because this semester changed everything.
This was my first semester working as the opinions editor for my school paper. During the last four months, I have learned so much through my field. I learned about how to use the program InDesign, which is kind of tricky. I learned how to write a book review, and to make amazing headlines. I love going to work every Monday morning, because I am surrounded with talented writers and great people.
I also have taken several classes for my major and minor. I have learned so much in my Basics of Journalism class. Each of the skills that I've learned through out the semester is only the beginning. Taking that class has made me so excited for my career as a journalist. I also took an introductory fiction class for my minor, which was a great class to take. I love taking classes about writing, even though after a while I got extremely overwhelmed with the amount of things that I had to do.
Other than that, I hung out with a few friends for the semester. I went to QU with Elisia, and I had even gotten the chance to hang out with Griffin, whose away at school at Vassar. I didn't have the chance to do as much as I would like to, however, I did not get the chance to hang out with a bunch of my friends as I have in the past. Hopefully, in the spring semester I'll devote more time to have fun.
What I learned this semester is the importance of doing what you love, and the importance of balance. Sometimes, what is good for you is different then the rest of the world. Is that okay? I'd like to think so.
So, I went out with a bang...but I'll be back to make spring semester even better. 

2 comments:

  1. Both of those are great things to learn! One of my favorite parts about college is that you can focus in on a major instead of taking a bunch of general classes (there's still generals, but not as many as high school.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree! where I go to school has a lot of general education requirements, so I am so happy I am done so I can focus on my major :)

      Delete