Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What I Learned This Year.

2014.
Ahh, it was a wonderful year.
Kind of. Sort of. Not really. It's had a lot of ups, and it has had a lot of downs. This year, however, I honestly feel like I've come more and more into my own. I've learned a lot about life, my field of choice, and about myself.
The thing that I learned that has the complete and utmost important is to be you first. Do things that make you happy. Like things that only impress you, not the people that you want to impress. If they like you, then they will like you for you.
What really taught me this was meeting someone who I really thought that I liked. This person was really into music. To impress him, I began listening to music such as Mayday Parade, and Sleeping With Sirens. I used to like them when I was younger and more emotional. As I got older, I traded it in for more mature rock. At the time, I did like it.
When things went south with this person, I began to slowly but surely dislike the music. (It's not because of him, it just wasn't really my thing.) In its' place I began to discover music that I really liked it. Enter Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Beyonce, Tegan and Sara, and The Pretty Reckless to name a few. I deleted the who emo music, and ever since then, I've honestly been more into putting what I like into my headphones, not what others think I should.
Although I am guilty of liking what a guy that I was interested in, I will say that it will never, ever, happen again. I honestly don't think it's worth it because if you're going to like someone, than you're going to like them for well them. I think it's important to like what you like, without the pretense of others judging you. This started with my music collection.
My iPod, if you looked at it, you'd probably wonder what the heck is going on with it. There's Beyonce, then there's Aerosmith. Then you've got She and Him, Taylor Swift, Drake, and Quiet Riot. It's a whole Motley Crue going on in my iPod. And I can care less.
I am going to like what I like and haters are going to hate, hate, hate.
So, that's what I learned over this past year. I've learned other things, such as AP style, but this is something that truly is importance in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree, never change who you are or what you like for someone else. It's definitely a lesson we all learn when dating. I know I did! I remember I went so far as being miserable at a concert I hated with one guy. Oh well!
    Hope you have a Happy New Year! Karen @ Book Delight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful! Hahah but we all eventually do it, and need to learn from it.
      Happy new year!

      Delete