Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Private Life

Whenever I post things on Facebook, it's usually the following: a post of what I ate for dinner, something about my accomplishments as a journalist or student or something about my dog. Yes, I'm lame, but I think things that are personal--family, relationships, new cars--all should remain offline, in my opinion. I've probably written about this subject so many times before, however, my opinion remains more and more the same.
Sometimes, I go on Facebook and wonder what people are thinking when they click "post." Sure, it's cool to let your friends know what's going on in your life. I have a lot of my friends who I lost touch with on my Facebook that like my things regularly. However, I don't believe it's the Internet's business that I'm currently going through a mental illness (severe anxiety), nor is it the Internet's business that I'm not in a serious relationship. It shouldn't also be the Internet's business when I am in a relationship, because I believe those are private. (Other than the change of relationship status and occasional photo.) 
My qualm is that the Internet has taken over our lives, and is a permanent stake in our millennial world. Shouldn't we set the boundaries by dictating what it should or shouldn't know about us?

No comments:

Post a Comment