Monday, May 13, 2013

Why Do I Write?

Why do you write? 
Many people ask me this. People don't think writing is something that is fun. Some do, like myself. Some don't. And that's fine. Not everyone is a literary, creative person such as myself. 
Recently, someone insulted me about this. Okay fine. Not too recent, but whatever. They asked me why do I write, don't you do anything fun?
Well to this person. Yes, I do have fun. I may not appreciate your kind of fun, watching television and movies, but that's okay. My definition of fun differs from your own. Not everyone in this world agrees to the same things, and marches to the same kind of drummer. If we did, then there would be no diversity. If we did, there would be no excitement. Everyone would have the same kind of routine. The world would become boring. There would be no talent, because everyone would be good at the same things. 
And why do I write? I write to tell a story. I write to be heard, to have my voice expressed in a way that can not expressed in a way verbally. I feel at peace writing a story. It's like I'm in my own world. I have the power to do whatever the hell I want to. The blank page doesn't scare me, because I know it can be filled with opportunity. I can write a tragedy, a comedy, a poem. The page is my oyster. With math, you don't get this luxury. There is also no straight answer. Everyone can interpret what you're writing differently, and it still can make sense.
The best part about writing? The best part is that the words that you put together can make a difference to someone. They can inspire someone to do something that otherwise they can't find the courage to do. They can find the fire that burns inside them, and spread the flames to their outer layer. 
That's why I write sir. And I enjoy it much better then kissing your ass. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I feel the same way about writing. You get to finally say whatever you want to say and it comes out the way you mean it to. Nothing is straight or simple, black or white. Writing is a way to explore different paths like you're trudging through a maze. It's adventurous, fun, and mysterious. You never know what might come up when you're writing.

    ReplyDelete