Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Why Journal?

Journaling has been one of my favorite things to do since I was a senior in high school and began jotting down things in a notebook. Fast forward to the end of my senior year in college where I have seven notebooks filled and am currently working on the eighth. However, many may wonder--"why should I journal?"(Yes, I probably read your mind, I'm just that good.)
But, there's something about filling a page with your thoughts. My therapist said one of the things to do when you're anxious is to journal. So many of my friends write in a journal, whether it's about what they did for the day or what they are currently feeling, including Gabu and their mom Kari.
The question is what do you say when you're writing? Well, anything really. The blank page can turn into a canvas of your emotion, the words painting a picture of you. For some, it's easy to get a journal, a pen and start scribbling. For others, it's not so easy, but have no fear. There are so many books out there to help you get started. However, it can be just as easy as just thinking about what you're feeling.
Unlike blogging, journaling can be private without the prying eyes of the Internet. You're writing just for you. I can not count how many times I've blogged about my love life, only to have the person I had a crush on click on it and figure out it was them. (Mad awkward, may I tell you.) That's why before I begin to write a certain kind of post, I ponder what the effects of that post would be. (It's sad, but there's certain things you just don't want people to read.) With journaling, you don't have to really worry about that, unless someone picks up your journal. Therefore, you can write about how hurt you're feeling about someone and not have them know.
I journal pretty much on and off, however, I fill a couple of them a year. There's nothing more satisfying then finishing one more journal and watching that pile get larger and larger. It's also a great feeling to just take some time and thumb through ones you wrote years ago, and remembering the day you sat down to write it. (I recently did that, and opened up my first journal. It was an interesting experience.)
Furthermore, with journaling there's no right or wrong way to do it. Just grab a pen,  a pad (They have some cute notebooks at TJ Maxx, that's where I get mine) and just write. It's that simple, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment