Saturday, December 8, 2012

Modern Love?

For some odd reason, I've been into the whole Catfish TV show. (Other than the fact that the host is gorgeous, just saying) I mean I find it interesting how people can meet online, and fall in love without actually meeting each other. Nowadays, it's becoming more and more the norm to find a partner online, whether by Facebook, or by some sort of dating website, (Christian Mingle, anyone?)
To be honest, I don't like the online dating components. I mean, it's becoming more and more common, and I guess I should be cool with it. But I think it takes away from the romance aspect of falling in love. I rather have a face to face conversation, rather than a Facebook conversation. I prefer phone calls and text messages over Skype and IMs. To be honest, I don't even care to use Facebook, unless you're a friend who I don't normally get to talk to, I tend not to use it. I don't know why, it doesn't seem very personal. I feel like in a sense, technology has taken over our lives, and I'm guilty of this as well.
 Another ascpect of this, perhaps the more sketchier part of this, is that you're falling in love with an illusion that is not an actual person. It could be, but sometimes, the person that you've fallen in love with may not be who you think that they are. I guess it happens when you actually know the person in real life, for example, Who is Clark Rockafeller. But it's much worse when you don't know the person, and you're trusting that someone who you've never met, may exist. They may, or they may not. For all you know they could be an alien.
I don't get this modern kind of love. Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather meet you and then fall in love with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment