Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Is it Expected?

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about sex. I mean, it's everywhere. It's a common thing in the media. Plots on television shows, movies, and novels are all based on it. Lately, I've been noticing more and more people my age are having it. At my college's nurse's office there is a huge bowl available of just condoms. I mean, I'm not that old, or not that young. I'm eighteen years old, and I still don't believe that sex is a good idea for me at this stage of my life. Does that make me a freak or something?
I then wondered if this was expected of the modern day relationship. To have sex with your boyfriend or girlfriend and have it not mean something. And if you don't have sexual relations with them, what does that make you? A freak? Forever alone? Isn't the point of a relationship, well a good one, is to grow with each other, and respect what they believe, in addition to their limits?
I decided to take this question to a couple of my friends. Both of them were in relationships however one was male and the other was female. Taking this into consideration, they both said the same thing. They said that they didn't think that relationships expected to have sex. However, I begin to question, what makes one person ready for sex?
I suppose the answer to this question is similar to the answer to a lot of things. When you're ready you'll know. In the end, it's really up to you to have decide whether or not you're ready to take this risk or not. Not your parents, friends, or even your boyfriends. Your own. So, if you don't want to take this risk, you don't have to. And if someone expects you to, for whatever reason, chances are that person shouldn't be worth making that important decesion for.

No comments:

Post a Comment