Saturday, April 21, 2012

Itunes the New Record Store?

Yesterday, I went to the mall, so needless to say, I took advantage of the fact that they have a store that sells more than just the top twenty or something like that. Needless to say, I was in heaven. I managed to pick up three CDs for about ten dollars. What a deal!
Anyways, there was a point to that story. I got to thinking about how music has changed. I mean it's always been there, but the way that we have been listening to it has changed. I found some records in my mom's old room at my grandma's house yesterday, and I wondered how in less then fifty years, we went to listening to them, to having music on our fingertips on our iPods/iPhone.
Before you know it, CDs will become a thing of the past. We will only be able to obtain music via computer. I mean it's great for the digital age and all, but I can never forget the joy that I got when I was a youngun buying CDs, and watching all of them pile up. As a child, I was able to pick up many interesting choices, from Paula Abdul, to Madonna at my local music store. (yes, I'm an eighties child, deal). I was constantly listening to music, even until I purchased an iPod, where I just started to expand my horizons to the altnernative music world.
My point is, it's sad in twenty years, people will look at CDs, and say to themselves "What the hell is that?" Will my collection of mixmatched CDs be worth something when my children are around? I want them to have the same experiences I did-being able to get three full discs of CDs for the same price as ten songs on itunes.
Is iTunes the new record store?

No comments:

Post a Comment