Thursday, July 16, 2015

Book Review: The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen

Okay, so this isn't "Saint Anything," but nonetheless, I still read an awesome book.
"The Moon and More" is about Emaline, who lives in a small town called Colby. Colby is the type of town that some get out of but many are there for life. She works for a relator service in Colby, which is a family-run business. It's also a vacation town, which means it's a tourist hot spot. She has the perfect life and perfect long-time boyfriend..but everything was about to change as she was about to head to college.
Emaline was Columbia-bound...or so she thought. Her father and her began a college plan to get her into Columbia, but at the last minute he withdrew from his promise. This caused Emaline to have to accept her full ride scholarship to East-U where many of her high school classmates were planning on going.
Emaline hasn't heard from her father since. Until he calls and asks to meet her for dinner. His aunt had died, and it was time for him to take care of things. She reluctantly agrees, and during the dinner in pops Theo, a guy from New York whose staying for the summer. He's the assis
During the course of the novel, Emaline and Luke soon break up due to Emaline finding out that Luke cheated on her. This causes Emaline to run into the arms of Theo. She thinks he's a summer romance, however, he believes he's in for the long haul.
The novel has a bunch of twists and turns but in true Sarah Dessen fashion, it has somewhat of a happy ending.
Overall, I thought this book was really good. It took me a while to dive into, but once I did I couldn't stop reading. I thought the character of Emaline was really portrayed and really liked how Dessen developed the character. From beginning to end of the novel, I could see a lot of growth on her end of the novel. I thought that was amazingly well done on her end, and also realistic. After the summer post-high school that precedes college is the one where you do the most soul searching. I liked how it took less time for her to get with Theo after breaking up with Luke.
I'm a little uneasy with the ending, I thought it was a little quick and I wasn't completely satisfied with it. But, I enjoyed reading the novel overall. I recommend this to those who are a fan of young adult, as well as a good summer romance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment