Monday, July 27, 2015

Music Monday: Kansas Concert!


                                                         Kansas performing "Carry On My Wayward Son."
Hey everyone! So, if we're Facebook Official you would see that this Monday would be  One of the things I've been looking foreword to pretty much all summer was the chance to see Kansas live in concert this past Friday. For those of you who know, I'm a huge fan of classic rock. So, when I heard that my town was going to feature them as a part of their free concert series I was so excited. (Of course, it was free so YOLO)
Let's fast foreword a few months later when I got the assignment from one of my editors to do a piece about the Hamden Music Scene. So, I interviewed the lady who runs the Summer Concerts for my article. After interviewing her, I then sent her an email thanking her for her time. She then invited me backstage, which I gratefully accepted. (After all, who can resist going backstage?) I then emailed my editor asking if she wanted me to do a piece about being backstage with Kansas as well as covering the concert. She said yes. 
So Friday night, I went backstage and actually wasn't sure what to expect. I carried a notebook which was from the ACP Conference I attended and had my friend Elisia in tow. At first we ate some delicious cupcakes from the Sugar Cupcake Truck, and then headed towards backstage. 
                                                    Cupcake! 
All of a sudden I was in a whirlwind. I didn't prepare (which was bad for a journalist, I will never make that mistake again!) because I didn't know I was going to be interviewing. However, I quickly was able to think of questions as I interviewed a few people. 
One of the people I've interviewed was the violinist, David Ragsdale. At first, I was kinda of starstruck, because who wouldn't be? He was such a great person to interview and I am so glad to have gotten the opportunity to meet him. 
                                                               Elisia and I backstage!
After that, things were a bit quieter. I did get a chance to be in the town picture with the Arts Commission which was also cool. Than, Kansas took the stage and they were amazing. They played hits such as "Carry on My Wayward Son," and "Dust in the Wind." 
Overall, it was an amazing night and an amazing concert to get a chance to both cover and attend. I enjoyed covering it, and honestly wouldn't mind if I got to do more stuff like this in the future as I progress through journalism. I must say, I really am enjoying my job! 

No comments:

Post a Comment