Wednesday, November 11, 2015

An Open Note to My Friends Regarding Anxiety and Depression

Dear Friends and family who are reading this,
This is a letter from me to you. Some of you reading this may know me personally, and are really close to me. Some of you may not know me other than this blog, which in some ways is extraordinary in itself. I'm writing to you all, in hopes this is something that helps you understand more about depression, rather than excuse me.
I have been suffering with the effects with anxiety and depression since the beginning of the semester due to over scheduling and pressures of school/work/life. My anxiety is so severe, it's been affecting my physical health, as well as my mental well being. There are somedays I'm so depressed or anxious I don't feel like leaving my bed.  I've been in treatment for those things, and have been seeing a therapist. However, I would like to take the time to talk to friends and family about what's going on with me so they can understand because I feel like they sometimes don't get what it's like to deal with this.
Sometimes, I'm not going to be in the mood to talk to you, or I'm going to not be in constant touch with you. It's not a symbol of whether or not I'm interested in being your friend. It's just my mind is going 1,000 miles an hour and I can't stop thinking about what's going on to focus on anything else. I apologize for sometimes losing touch with my friends, and some of the friends I talk to are the ones I'm close enough to discuss my mental struggle with. It's nothing personal if I don't message you everyday, or ask to hang out. It's just I'm overwhelmed, and trying my best to deal with what's going on with me.
The past few months have been nothing less than crazy. I'm trying my best to deal with it, using resources that my campus has and what I can do for inner peace. Through therapy, I've been trying to manage my symptoms, and trying to maintain a positive attitude. It's a day to day struggle, something I hope you all understand. I'm trying to stay afloat, and I'm trying to be the best person I can be. I just ask you to bear with me, and to understand it's not you. It's truly me.
Cliche, but very true.
Sincerely,
Natalie 

No comments:

Post a Comment