Monday, November 23, 2015

Music Monday: Why Taylor Swift's 1989 Is Still a Hit

A polaroid of Swift with shoulder-length blonde hair wearing red lipstick and a long-sleeved sweater with a picture of birds in the sky. Her face is cut off by the frame above the nose and "T. S." and "1989" are written on the white polaroid frame with black marker. Image Source
When thinking about one of the most iconic musicians of our generation, one name in particular comes to mind. And that is Taylor Swift.
A year ago, Swift released the album "1989," which contains music from Swift's birth year. Since then, "1989" has had five number one hits-"Style," "Blank Space," "Shake it Off," "Wildest Dreams," and "Bad Blood." Several other of her songs have charted, such as "Welcome To New York." "1989" has spent pretty much every week in the charts, and has sold over 8.6 million copies according to its' Wikipedia page.
However, a year later, Swifties all around the world, myself included still have the album on repeat. I've listened to "Style" over 200 times, and know the lyrics to most of the songs pretty much by heart. Her songs are still being played on the radio, and pretty regularly too I might add. Therefore, the album "1989" is an album that is one of the greatest of our generation, the same way "Thriller" was for our parents'.
What I liked about "1989" is that it's different than anything else out there in today's music market. I'm a huge fan of the '80's so I credit that to being the reason why I'm so obsessed with it. And the songs are just amazing. From "Welcome to New York" to "Wonderland," the album offers music that is both lyrically and musically mature, which is the reason why I love the album so much And, on the artistic end of things, it's just a great release.
As Swift's first non-country album, I can honestly say that there's not a single bad song that I don't like on the album. While I often put other albums aside, I still manage to listen to Swift's album pretty regularly.
What also is unique about "1989" is the the lyrics. From "Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream," to "red lip classic thing that you like," Swift's lyrics are amazing. Songs like "Out of the Woods" and "Clean" are songs that are both emotional and honest. Swift has always managed to maintain a sense of reliability with her listeners, however, this album shows off her song-writing talents.
Even as I find more music that I'm obsessed with at the moment, I still can't help but have "Style," "Blank Space," or "Out of the Woods" still playing. The album itself is a modern-day classic, despite the fact it's a bit overplayed on the radio in my opinion. Therefore, in my opinion as a music enthusiast, I can honestly say it's a must listen to listeners going through their twenties (which is Swift's target audience), and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely true. Her genre switch shows how beautiful her vocals are. Did you hear about the 3LW member suing her for copyright infringement? Her mockery is pure publicity for their classic hit and I feel is her way of reminding who actually started the" Haters gonna hate" trend. Any opportunity for some cash overrides appreciation, that's sick.
    My step-brother named his cat after Taylor Swift. Haha!

    - Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's awesome. I definitely agree with you; it's a beautiful album, and about the lawsuit.

      Natalie @ findingmyownvoice7.blogspot.com

      Delete