Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Marriage Thing Applies

Maybe I don't want to get married.  
When I tell people that, I am instantly reminded of that scene in the beginning of the movie 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' when Gus talks about Toula not being married yet, and everyone writes her off as being unsuccessful. As I enter my 20s, I often feel like I have to hand someone my life plan. "At this age, I'll get married." "At this age, I'll have a kid. A few years later, I'll knock out another one." However, I don't understand why.
I'm entering my twenties with the crown of my claddaugh ring facing away from me. And if you don't know what that means, it just is a fancy way of saying that I'm a single lady. By the end of my 'roaring 20s', it's a common thing to have a diamond and perhaps a band on a certain finger. However, I'm not sure if that's what I want.
If you looked at my Pinterest, you'll know that I have a board called If I Had A Wedding. I'm not against marriage, and I am certainly not against weddings. However, I do think that we often put this idea of a wedding in our minds that is overly romantic. We watch people as they say yes to their dream dress, which only gets us more and more excited for the moment to arrive when you're the one looking for the white gown. It seems like we all are programmed to want the whole married life thing, and so when I say the words 'I don't want to get married' then you are basically at looking at breaking the norm.
But, hear me out internet people. I don't know what exactly I want. Marriage is a huge commitment, and I don't want to make that with just anybody. At this point, I really can't see myself getting married. Maybe it's because I'm single. Maybe it's because I want to get my career down first. Right now, getting married isn't my main goal in life. I often think about that being a point of pressure in relationships, and I don't want that to happen for me. I want to enjoy my relationships with whoever decides to make me his girlfriend, not nag him to get on one knee. Often many people look so ahead to the future that we often forget to live in the now.
So, for right now, I'm going to say that maybe, just maybe I don't want to get married. And that can change, and it probably would. But, in the mean time let's hear it for life and let's hear it for all of the things that we wished that we could last longer. If I get married, than I will pick out bridesmaids and say yes to the dress. And if not? Well, Gabriel and I will be causing trouble...somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to get married. When you are ready, you are.You are a confident person and happy with your life. No one should settle because it is what it is expected. Be happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Thank you so much for the lovely comment!

      Delete