Thursday, August 6, 2015

Summertime Sadness?

August is my least favorite time of the year. School is just about to start, and soon it means saying goodbye to friends and hello to the stresses of classes. While many of my peers are looking foreword to being in the lecture halls or living on campus again, I am not. In fact, I am pretty much dreading it. As much as I am looking foreword to seeing old friends again, I feel like you're going to have to drag me to go to my classes.
Part of it is because I'm enjoying having free time and time for friends. This summer, other than working, I've managed to have fun things to do a few nights a week. However, once the semester starts, I rarely have time for anything.
As a commuter, I pretty much am only on campus for work, any student involvement and classes. Once the class ends, I go home. I do homework, and I work at the campus library on the weekends. I pretty much have no social life during the semester. And while I realize that's what I need to do to get the grades I crave, I do get a little overwhelmed and constantly want to put Natalie first. That's something I truly need to work on, especially after the mental breakdown that was last semester. 
One of my goals for the upcoming semester is to simply learn to make more time out for myself. I need to do things that make me happy, and schedule time to do something fun. It may not be every other night, but my goal is to do so once a week. Whether it may be a trip to the library, spending my Sundays at Luther House or a night out with friends, I want to make sure that I have the time to devote to making sure I'm happy.
The other part is saying goodbye to good friends. Gabriel, Griffin and Alessia are all going back to school and their perspective homes. And I'm going to miss them like crazy because they are some of the people I am closest to. Saying goodbye to my closest friends is one of the hardest things I ever have to do, but I look foreword to seeing them again. (plus Griffin has a fall break in which I get to see him, which makes me happy.)
As the summer sadly comes to an end, I'm trying to stay positive. However, that doesn't mean that I don't have a mild case of summertime sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment