Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Year of Rest

Last semester was the semester where I completely lost it all. I mean when I say that was I had so much going on that I was suffocating in all I had to do. And my to-do list was so long that I thought that I never would complete all that I have to do. I'm talking about the wieght of having two jobs, a full course load of classes, a blog and of course expectations that well exceeded what I should have been expecting for myself.
Fast forward to the end of the summer when I'm dreading school. I'm dreading constantly having to focus on work, and getting the best grades I can. I'm dreading the feeling of being overwhelmed, saying goodbye to my friends and of course just not having anytime for fun. However, during the process of me drowning in all of this, I did realize something. I realized that this year will be a thousand times different than last semester.
This semester, I am taking the minimum amount of classes to be considered full time. Those classes are classes that are a mixture of major requirements and electives. Some of the classes I'm taking I'm actually really looking foreword to, such as Young Adult literature where we read books for young adults. Another class I'm looking foreword to is Anthropology of the Media, where I learn about the past and future of media. I heard from friends that it was a good and easy class, so I am looking foreword to having it.
Another difference is that I don't have a completely full day. I used to have five classes a day; four of them were back to back. Needless to say, it was hell on earth. Now, on my busiest day I have two classes back to back, a few hours worth of break, and then two more back to back. That makes me feel better, because I don't have to worry about running around everywhere and making sure I have enough time to get from one place to another. I also will have time to go and eat lunch, which is a luxery when you're running around all day. I'm usually that person whose snacking on food during class, simply because I have no time to eat. Now, I actually will have time to enjoy a meal.
Finally, the biggest difference is a change in my jobs. Instead of working at my campus newspaper, I'm working at my hometown newspaper, where it's not as stressful and I make more. While working on my campus newspaper, I would have at least 2-3 600 word or more articles on a good week. I was responsible for editing, and making sure that my section was full. As much as I loved that job and all of the opportunities and people that I've met, it take it's toll on me. Now I'm free of all of that responsiblity, and I couldn't be happier.
At the end of the day, this will be my semester of rest. I'm so excited to have time to breathe and most importantly enjoy my last few years of college.

No comments:

Post a Comment