Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11-A Day To Remember

12 years ago, I was sitting in my 2nd grade classroom oblivious to what was going on outside the world around me. Life went on as usual, until I left school. My mother picked me up, which was unusual because she normally was working. I was confused as to why she was until she told me something terrible had happened. Two planes had crashed into the Twin Towers. Now, as a seven year old, I couldn't understand what was happening. I only cared about getting a cookie after getting out of school, and being free to play with my dolls.
We went home, and we were glued to the television screen. Now, looking back at it, I realize that the event itself was unusual and tragic. 3000 lives were lost that day. 3000 families were left to grieve a lost loved one dying at the cost of someone else's angst and pain. Many more lives were changed forever, due to the effects of PTSD, and countless injuries.
This was the day that we suffered an attack. This was also the day that we as Americans came together as one in the light of tragedy. We helped one another out in the time of need, came together to rise above the ashes like a phoenix. America is good that way. We can come together in the light of tragedy to love and support one another.
9/11 has taught us that we Americans are strong and when united we can make a difference to become one. We can come together and become a stronger and more unified America.

No comments:

Post a Comment