Sunday, November 17, 2013

Society and the Single Girl: The Baby Trend

Disclaimer; some adult content is in the proceeding blog entry..
Lately, it seems like everyone in my high school class is either pregnant or has a kid. Being perpetually single, I am a bit curious about that trend. I mean I'm young, and I have a lot going on for me. I want to see the world, and I want to be able to be young for as long as possible. I have plenty of time before I settle down and have the children and a husband. I have experiences that I want to have before that happens for me.
Honestly, the baby boom is something that is more mind-blowing for me than anything  else. I loved watching Secret Life of the American Teenager, but every time I watched Amy, I often wondered how she was able to do all of that. I mean in a way, you are sacrificing your teenage years, which is something that you will never be able to get back.
At the same time, I feel like people who are able to have sex should be able to deal with their consequences of it. If you get pregnant, than you were either stupid enough to forget to put a condom on or take a pill. It's so easy; the pill takes two seconds to take, and the condom probably doesn't take that long to apply either. Sex in my opinion is something that's more complex and mature than I am. I understand that it's pleasurable, but it can lead to things such as getting pregnant. There's clinics where you can get free condoms. I'm pretty sure that you can get them for free at some colleges. Basically, I feel like if you can't handle a having a baby, or aren't taking the responsible means necessary, than you shouldn't have sex. Now there's even Plan B, which I really disagree with because it gives someone an easy out if you decided to have sex, and be stupid. Plain and simple.
Of course, there are people who are having children who really aren't ready. We obviously can't force them to give up their children or forbid someone from having sex. It's a free country, and we can't do that to someone. However, we also have to think about the fact that there is another life, and they don't deserve parents who won't be there for them. No one deserves that kind of life.
I realize that mistakes happen and that we are not perfect. Sometimes, we are careless, and accidents happen with our ways of birth control. However, having a baby when you're still young really doesn't make that much sense to me. There's so much more out there than just having sex, and being stupid out there. There's facts to learn, and there's places to see. I don't know when I'm going to be ready to have children to be perfectly honest. I'd have to be married or have some sort of secure relationship, secure in my job, and ready for all of the things that come with having kids. I do know people who are mothers who are around my age and I would like to just add that I really do give them a lot of credit. Some of them are in school, and some of them work really hard to take care of their child.
The baby trend is something that I've noticed on social networking sites. However, it's a trend that I will not be a part of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment