Wednesday, February 5, 2014

TGBL; "This Is For My Girls All Around the World"

This week's Girl Between the Lines post was a wildcard, and write about pretty much anything. So, I chose to write about something that I thought that is important at least in my eyes. Most of my blog is solely my opinion, and trying to cross personal lines. This piece, although its not about my love life, is something alongs those lines.
I feel like so many people can pull us in different directions. Instead of talking to us, they talk at us. This is something that I feel like happens to me all of the time. I have friends who sometimes are pushy with their beliefs, and think just because they do something that they are right with doing it. Although it may be right for them, it's not what I want. Sometimes, I often feel like although they are expressing their opinions which they are entitled too,  it comes to the point where in some ways they come off as being their way or the high way. 
I do like to listen to several people, and their opinions. I don't mind hearing what they have to say, because every one has something to say. However, I also think that you need to respect others for having an opinion, which is something that I try to do. But, I think that this motto has two sides to this street. In my opinion, I feel like everyone should have to respect everyone, and no one should feel like they have to explain themselves.
I have learned over the past few years to mute those voices. Those voices can simply make you feel like your not good enough. Just because someone does something, does not mean that you have to do that too. I think that we often forget that, and feel inferior to those who do. An example of this is with one of my friends who shall not be named. I was talking about something that I was interested in doing, and she responded "well I would never do that!" That honestly made me feel upset because she made it look like she thought she was better then me. If I make a decision that makes me happy than I don't need anyone's approval other than my own. I do respect the way that your mind operates and that what I want to do isn't for you. But you don't have to make me feel bad about it in the process. That's just uncool.
The biggest part of growing up in my opinion is to take the wheel. No matter what you do people are going to have opinions. Some are going to be good, while others are not going to be so good. You can brush some off, but others dig deep and mess with you. There's going to be some people in this world that think that they are better than you. In addition to that, there's going to be some people who don't respect your rights and opinions. But, you have to be bigger than that. You have to learn when to put your headphones on and realize that you're doing it right. T.I says it best "you can't expect me to think like you, cause my life ain't like yours." Homeboy, I'm done talking.

2 comments:

  1. You're right... I think part of the growing up process is making your own decisions and sometimes falling hard because it was the wrong one. I think it's great you are willing to listen to what others have to say--that's often a very hard thing to do, so kudos to you! I'm sorry about your friend. That is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you so much! I appreciate that, but hey there are people out there who HAVE to get what they want to say out there, so you kind of have to respect that. you know?

      Delete