Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Society and the Single Girl on Valentine's Day.

Okay, so every year like clockwork it happens. On Feb 14th, my social networking feeds I see them clouded with people talking about one thing. Their boyfriends, their girlfriends, whoever they are trying to impress or woo. People that they love, and they just really want everyone that they follow or that they are friends with to know. And for the people who don't have anyone to do that for them, it just kind of sucks. In my opinion anyways.
One thing that I really don't like about Valentine's Day is that it raises the bar of what we expect people to be. I think that we don't need a day in the calendar year for someone to buy us diamonds, and tell us that we are the best part of their existence. Yes, I am aware that it's nice. However, I think that there should be more to it than just that. I think that if you love someone, than you shouldn't have to do it on command, rather you should do it when you want to. I think that it adds a lot of pressure to relationships, because if someone doesn't buy you roses today then they are the worst person ever. It makes the guy sweat over something that has to be perfect. It makes them do or say things that perhaps they shouldn't be saying because they don't actually mean it, and are going along with it for the whole reason on what that's what Valentine's Day is supposed to be about.
As someone who got rejected one Valentine's Day (It was 8th grade when no one really understood relationships anyways), I can honestly say that Valentine's Day does have that effect on some people. However, I realize something else. Just because you don't have a Valentine doesn't mean you can't celebrate it.
This year, I've decided to totally decided to embrace the whole day of love kind of thing. I've painted my nails red and pink, in honor of the day of love kind of thing. I even bought some Valentine's to send to some of my friends that are farther away, and a few to my family and friends. I've gotten some Valentine's Day themed cupcakes, just because cupcakes are awesome. On Friday, I don't have any interesting plans other than to hang out with my dog, and just watch movies or Gilmore Girls. I've gotten a long weekend from school, so I have the day off. And that's okay, because I know that my day is going to be awesome nonetheless.
Wanna do something, and you find yourself Valentineless? No prob. Grab a movie, go shopping, and most important grab your single girls. You all will have a better time than those people in relationships anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment