Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Little Note

Recently, someone told me that the field that I am going into (journalism) isn't the best choice because there's no jobs there, and I should have gone or something more practical like teaching or social work. Honestly, it bothered me because I am finally doing something that makes me happy and it's something that I have always wanted to do. No offense to those who do want to be those things, but they aren't for me.
I honestly can not tell you why I am choosing to be a writer. I know it comes naturally to me, such as right now when I am writing this post. I love writing, even though I am a work in progress and I have so much more to learn about my field. For me, it isn't that hard to sit down and write something that is thought provoking and interesting. I can do it and I love doing it. 
My biggest dream is to go to New York, to go to Columbia for grad school, and then work for a magazine. I want to be like Carrie Bradshaw because she is my idol. I want the name necklace, I want the Mac, I want the apartment, and I want to write with my heart and not my head. However, I can do without Mr. Big. Just because that's not healthy. 
I also aspire to to one day own my magazine, and write awesome artices for it. It's a big dream, but I just want to write. I don't care if I get paid next to nothing, it's something that I love to do. If you hate what you do, then you're doing it wrong in my opinion. Plain and simple. 
Honestly, what that person said to me hurt because I don't want to disappoint those who are close to me. However, I don't want to live to please others either. 
I want to be a journalist. Not a social worker. Not a teacher. Get  it through your thick skull because its happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment