Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Make Love Louder

A few days ago, I was watching the 700 Club accidently. First of all, I was watching it because I was waiting to watch Gilmore Girls, but that's beside the point.
Anyways, there was a person talking about homosexuality, and so I listened. They then began to bash people who were, and told the caller not to enable her niece in that sort of behavior. Then, they proceeded to talk about how people tended to push people into believing that homosexuality is okay, when in their opinion it's not. 
Okay. 
Well, here's what I, a Catholic born and raised, have to say about that. Homosexual people were born to their sexual orientation. They did not by any means wake up one day and decide that they were gay. 
As an ally to the GLSEN community, I can honestly say that this is complete and total bullshit. Just because a man loves a man insead of a woman, doesn't mean that they suddenly have a lesser part in this world if they were heterosexual. It makes me upset that such people still exist in this world, and although I wish I can tell these people where to go, I do realize that I have to respect what they were saying. 
People who are gay are not by any means sinners. They are the same brand of humanity as all of us. They love, they cry when they are hurt, and they want to be happy. They have to go through enough bullshit, and have to deal with people like that. Homosexuals have to go through enough, which is why they tend to be more depressed then heterosexuals. Why do we have to make them feel ashamed about it, when they are just being who they really are?
As an ally, I am offended by the coined term of pushy. Let me tell you something. Why shouldn't I be pushy about the equality of everyone? Everyone deserves the rights to be able to get married, if he, they or she chooses. Everyone deserves the rights to marry who they choose, and everyone deserves  to walk the streets of this earth without the side dish of shame. 
I can see why people are more reserved to be more supportive of the GLSEN network. I respect your views, but I honestly don't agree with them. People say hateful, hurtful things about the people in the community, as well as the allies. I wish that I can make the hate louder than the love, but I can't. All I can do is support my friend who is a gender-queer person, and just wish that they had an easier time in this world. 
This is something that won't go away simply by ignoring it. It's something that I think we all need to learn about. Education, as well as stubborness, is a huge factor of bigotry. I hope that we can one day look at the day of closeted homosexuality, in addition to reservations about being homosexual and supporting those who are. 
We still have a long way to go, and we still need to make love louder than the hate. We need to get out every rainbow Sharpie, and we need to realize make it louder than the black ones. We have to make love louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment