Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Society and the Single Girl-Why Are You Still Single?

Why are you still single?
It's a question that nearly every person has encountered since the beginning of time. You're pretty, why are you still single, or what's a pretty girl like you still single? If you haven't heard those questions, or seen the hashtag #Imsinglebecause on  Twitter, well you've been living under a rock, or just pretty damn fornute.
Well, ladies and gentlemen here's why I am still single. There's two components to this, so get ready for it.
I have been single since June 2010. At that time, I was almost 16 years old. I've had one really significant boyfriend, and a rebound after that. Needless to say, I've been single for a pretty long time. During when I was with my boyfriend at the time I changed into the type of person who put her boyfriend first. I was obsessed with him, and always needed to talk to him. #crazygfoverhere When he broke up with me in the middle of sophomore year, I was devasted. Now looking back, I really can't blame him. I was sort of the girl that was wrapped around his little finger.
Ever since then, I haven't been able to open up. Deep down, I know that I've changed a lot since then. I've matured, because I'm no longer 15 years old. I realize that love isn't about obsession, but it's about equality. I've always had the fear of turning into that person with no pride whatsoever, and that's something that I never want to happen to me.
The other component is that I can never take risks. Ever since that relationship, I have a hard time opening up to guys I like that show remote interest in me. I can't flirt, and I can't show any sort of confidence. I also can't even say what I'm feeling, which results in me being friend-zoned. I'm often afraid of getting rejected, despite the fact that I so desperately want to be with someone who makes me happy. I take risks, knowing that they would end postively, which is a downfall because with risks sometimes you never know what you're going to get.
I guess that there's something I can do before I can write a post saying I've found a fella. I can start by taking more chances in life. I can actually message that cute guy on Tinder, and I can ask out the guy that I've been crushing on for months. I can fall, and not be sure that there's no safety net to catch me to avoid bruising. The thing about me is that I can tell someone to make a move on a guy, but to actually do it myself isn't exactly my thing.
And that's got to change. Part of me still shudders about that doomed relationship all those years ago. The other, more naughty part of me, craves a chance to meet someone that will actually make her very happy. It's about time that I've listened to that part of me, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment